Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Climbing small mountains

It's hard to say why I enjoy myself so much in Kenya. Where I live there is no running water and rolling blackouts. Getting anywhere requires extra - ordinary measures. After avoiding piki piki's (motorcycle taxis) for the first month and a half I was here (in deference to Grace's fear of them), I have now embraced them fully as the cheapest and most direct way to get anywhere. Even to Ilkiloret, a 33 km trip over very rough roads. Not a particularly brilliant move on my part! I was wrapped in a blanket of dust when I returned. That and I had a nice little case of the runs while there. I was attempting to negotiate with a Maasai business man, who was attempting to screw us over in the most subtle of ways. An hour and a half of negotiations left my stomach in knots and then there was the ride home. That was the second job for Monday.

I woke at 5 a.m. that morning to prepare tea for Omondi's uncle who came and got him from Western Kenya for a visit with his grandmother. He arrived promptly at 6 a.m. after taking the night bus from Kisumu.

On Tuesday morning after attempting to find sand and ballast for the building project and getting a ridiculously high quote, Anika decided we would halt the project until she could come next week. So I went home and picked Judie and we went to Karen to retrieve my computer. I have been trying to get a modem to work with it without success. Bluetooth through my cell phone does work so may just have to stick with that.

Yikes - have to be some where in ten minutes... have to tell you about my new haircut though!

No comments:

Post a Comment