Tuesday, March 8, 2011

The Way of the Nomadic Chameleon

There are a lot of white people in Minnesota. I don't know if you can call it culture shock to be surrounded by people of your own race, but as near as I can figure it that's what I experience coming back to the place I was born and raised.

In Ngong where I live in Kenya, I am "the mzungu." It's frustrating when grown adults taunt you because of the color of your skin. But you can chalk that up to cultural ignorance. Most of the time people treat you with the same respect that you give to them. And when people get to know you, you become their mzungu and pretty soon you are just, you. In this case me, Jessica, the nomadic chameleon.

Someone once told me that I don't live in the moment, that I am constantly moving toward something... maybe they were right. If I was to define the persona of a nomadic chameleon I would do it this way: someone who is comfortable everywhere and nowhere, someone who is at home wherever they are, someone whose people are not solely their family but everyone with whom they are able to form a bond, someone whose life can be packed into a suitcase, but whose memories would overflow the Taj Mahal, someone who is never lonely even when alone, someone who is capable of great love, but is propelled by wanderlust, someone who knows the limits but steps outside them, someone who seeks justice and passion and truth on the path that no one else would choose, someone who sees life as a journey without a destination, someone whose goal in life is to care for all those who God puts on the path.

I'm actually not so stressed about re-entry this time... because God has put Wezesha By Grace on my path and he will pave the way for me to do HIS WILL.

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to think it's possible to live in the moment and work towards great things. Perhaps your moment is more timeless than that of the ordinary person. Besides, if any of us is going to take on something according to God's scale, then we've got to drop ordinary restrictions and let go of the usual limits of self, don't you think? :)

    ReplyDelete