Tuesday, August 2, 2011

12 Days...

(Written on Monday, August 1...posted on Tuesday, August 7)

Sitting in my room in my easy chair listening to some Doug Little Cuban-inspired jazz and the rain outside my window. In 12 days, at this time, I will be flying off to Montreal on the first leg of my journey to Kenya. What will the next 12 days bring?
1) Additional funds… I’ll be on the phone and email asking friends and family who haven’t had a chance to donate yet to PLEASE do it soon! I have received a grant for $2000 that is contingent on my having raised $15,000. I’m at about 12,500, so I have some work to do! Hopefully money will still be donated after I’ve left for Kenya… but I have to have the $15,000 by August 10 – to get the $2000 from the grant. This is a really great “problem” to have!!!

2) Shopping – ugh!...I make no bones about it. I HATE shopping. But there are a few items I cannot get in Kenya and therefore have to purchase in bulk before leaving.
a. Lara Bars – my gluten free salvation…wish I could ship them over by the truckload!
b. Cetaphil skin products – I had third degree burns on my face in college and can only use one brand of cleanser and moisturizer.
c. Sandals – I have very narrow feet and Kenyan shoes were NOT made for my feet
d. Orbit Sweet Mint gum - Kenyan gum leaves SO much to be desired and I have to have gum in my mouth when I run up and down in the Rift Valley. And anytime you’re in transit you inhale a considerable amount of dust. You can get Halls in Kenya… but they taste a little different.
e. “American” stuff for my kids – Judie and Omondi don’t ask for much but they love anything that comes from where I come from. I go to thrift stores and buy them clothes and shoes. I get books, games and soccer balls on sale here and there or as donations from friends. Thanks Kayla for the soccer balls and pump. This year the Wezesha kids have requested Harry Potter books 5, 6, and 7. If any one has those and would like to donate them please let me know.

3) Two more Summertime By George events. Kalahari Foods has generously given me space in their booth at Summertime By George every Wednesday night at Lake George in downtown, St. Cloud, to promote my missionary work in Kenya by selling photo greeting cards I make, aprons made by my friend Hannah in Kenya and other Kenyan handicrafts. Rosemond and Isaac Owens own Kalahari Foods and serve goat and chicken soya khebobs at the event besides selling their famous Peanut Brizzle. They give a portion of their proceeds for the peanut brizzle to my mission! And will use those proceeds to buy a computer for Wezesha By Grace, the faith-based organization I work with in Kenya.

4) Dealing with the details…for the sale of greeting cards, the recording of donations, sending of funds, Thank you cards and emails, etc., etc., etc. This part is way too long and boring to explain. And it will take up most of my time!


5) Chauffer duties – I get to serve as a chauffer for my friend Audrey this week and my friend Barb next week. They have both been wonderful role models and are strong, take charge kinda gals. But everybody needs a hand sometimes and I am honored to be able to do something for them after all they have given me.

6) PACKING! – I happen to be very good at packing. I’ve been putting stuff in a plastic bin since I returned home last March. It’s my “can’t forget to bring this to Kenya” bin. Two weeks ago I had to start a second bin. So today was “day one” of packing. All non-essential-essential stuff was packed. This is the stuff I’m bringing for other people or that I won’t need right away, such as donated supplies for baby Maha and a mat for sleeping on the floor of a Masai hut. A little more than ½ a suitcase is already full. The good news is, I have friends coming to Kenya in October and they think they will be able to bring a suitcase for me! YEAH! You can only have two… more than that requires a “donation” to Delta Airlines of your right arm, left foot, youngest child and $200. So, I’m exaggerating a bit… but it certainly feels like that. I left a lot of my things in Kenya when I was last there, but I went through my books this morning and there are quite a few I would like to take with me. Yes, I do have a Kindle. But I also have friends and a third suitcase so my “hands on paper” book fetish might just get fulfilled!

7) Find a doctor who will answer my questions and not charge me… I have no medical insurance, but I do have a suspicious mole – the last one I had got scratched and became a staph infection; and a painful hip – to the point where it has kept me from running – now that’s bad! Very little keeps me from running…with the exception of incredibly humid weather conditions…hmmm…guess I haven’t been running too much anyway. This whole growing old business really sucks!

8) Spend some quality time with my friends and family – I’ll try to spend some time at extended family’s cabin on Clearwater Lake. Our modem works better there anyway. Mom is finally going to ditch Verizon! I think we’re going to use Meltel which is what all of Kimball uses – it’s about time we get onboard. I will have a Tracfone when I return. So keep your eyes peeled for a new cell number. Or try reaching me at my parents’ farm. This Sunday, August 7, First Presbyterian Church is having a little going away shindig for me after church about 10:45 a.m. Feel free to stop by! I’d love to see you.

The rain has stopped. Doug Little has concluded his groove. Time to get started on this list. Blogging will hopefully be a weekly endeavor – so visit www.nomadicchameleonmissions.net to read the blog archive.

No comments:

Post a Comment