Friday, November 11, 2011

Ilkiloret Week 9

Was late to class, because I had to stop and make copies! Arrived at 11 a.m. to a room overflowing with students. We've had a couple of new students everyday, which is great except that I'm giving a test next week as it is our last full week of classes before the December school break.

I had brought a lot of worksheets but they flew through them, so we mostly played games on Thursday. Hangman is a great team sport! We are almost out of chalk so we were hanging a blue person, who I tried to make interesting by giving him or her different hair each time. Once they caught on it was really fun!

The ride down on Wednesday, while a bit slick, was really uneventful. One thing I've forgotten to tell you about is the way the Ngong Hills look when it's cloudy early in the morning. They look like cupcakes with icing on top. Like you could take a big bite! It actually makes me hungry!

We attributed the absence of livestock jams to the fact that the area had a significant rainfall and it was likely that all the waterholes were filled, therefore no one needed to drive their herds far for water.

After lunch I was hanging out at Rebeka's when her husband James, Pastor Moses and Stephen,the class clown showed up and sat down on a bench in the yard and proceeded to take out their worksheets from class. I took this as a hint that class wasn't over and for the next hour we had, "Man Class."

There were some school age kids around who helped me translate. Stephen got caught up on class work he missed because he hadn't been in class in a week! He is really smart but is too busy being a clown to make a lot of progress. You know how 30-year-old men are!

Now here's where the bad news comes in. I was taking photos of the full moon later Wednesday evening and accidentally erased some really great photos I'd taken of the progress on construction, the man class and Rebeka undoing her braids.

Their are photos in this blog but not the really great ones I wanted you to see!

After the men left I helped Rebeka take out her braids - I happen to be getting pretty good at this as I do it for my daughter on a fairly regular basis.

The moon was full, but there were a lot of clouds. I spent about a half hour with a sleeping Eliza on my lap gazing up at the moon. She's still the perfect size to hold while she sleeps. Ezekiel tries to sleep on my lap - but he's slightly too big at 5.

Slept semi-well but woke up with a terrible pain between my shoulders. Rebeka saw my uncomfort and massaged me a bit and put some icy hot like stuff on my back. The pain is still there but not nearly as bad as it was Thursday morning.

Grace and John showed up Thursday morning about half way through my class to see the building progress. They were very impressed. Thank Goodness! But they hadn't told me they were coming, which is typical. Grace had gotten a hold of Njenga and told him not to come and pick me, so all's well that ends well.

The following pictures are ones I took after the tragic and untimely deleting incident!

No Ilkiloret blog would be complete without a Rebeka-in-the-kitchen picture.

The MIDI demonstration garden is really doing well!

Five year old, Ezekiel, "read" while the rest of the family worked in the garden.

Rebeka and I supervising the gardening!

Rebeka getting ready for school.

Portrait of a leader!

I'll try not to delete the important pictures next week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment