Monday, December 5, 2011

Mat Maddness
Omondi and I went to Bomas to run some errands. We got in the first available matatu. The driver and the conductor (the guy who collects the money), both looked and smelled like they had been partying the night before. But a quick glance around the graffiti on the inside of the matatu told a very different story. Written on one wall was: “Caution: Non-Exposure to the Son will cause burning.” On the opposite wall it said, “Come to Jesus, Come to Life.” And above the head of the driver was a photo of the rapper Eminem. Can you say mixed messages!

On the way home the vehicle we got into was even more interesting, no graffiti to speak of but the vehicle seemed to be dying on the way up the hills so the driver started pumping something with his right hand by his seat between himself and the door which allowed us to continue to creep along. The matatu must have been jeri-rigged somehow but I can’t figure out for the life of me what he was doing.

Security
I will never get used to guards with semi-automatic weapons in luxury shopping malls. But hanging around the Safaricom Service Center were two guards one with an AK-47 and another with a sawed-off shotgun. Fortunately, my 11-year-old son didn’t seem to be to interested in them. I guess he’s grown up with it so he doesn’t see just how scary it is!

New Undies!
We bought underwear at the Nakumatt store. Omondi goes through underwear and socks with amazing quickness. The next morning he came into my room with just a long t-shirt on and a big smile on his face. “Did you come to show me your new underwear,” I asked.
He pulled up his t-shirt to show me not just his new underwear, but his old underwear underneath. “You only need to wear on pair at a time you know,” I said.
A few minutes later I was in the kitchen and he came in again in the same t-shirt and an even bigger smile. “Got it all straightened out, “ I said.
Sure enough, only one pair of new underwear.
Well then...all’s right with the world!

Happy Accidents
Omondi and I went to buy a movie the other day. The first thing Omondi saw was something about wrestling. I didn’t look very closely at it. We paid and left. I got home and tore it open only to realize it was a game for PlayStation 2. I texted my friend Jackie who’s son is a year or two younger than Omondi and asked if he had a PS or knew someone who did. I got an enthusiastic text back that yes he did and the game I had would work on his PS. I texted Jackie back. “Tell Kyle, Merry Christmas!” Jackie texted back that Kyle was beaming. Omondi is cool with it because when we go to Jackie’s he and Kyle can play it. I love it when silly mistakes make other people’s day!

No comments:

Post a Comment