Friday, February 17, 2012

WFP

Rebeka had told me early Wednesday morning that after lunch we would be washing clothes. But at lunch she pointed to the Maasai Integrated Development Initiative (MIDI) and said, “food today.”

I saw some other women walking toward the shade tree in front of the MIDI pump house. I thought it was probably some kind of food distribution, but didn’t think MIDI did that so was wondering where the food was coming from. When we arrived there I saw that the bags were from the World Food Program (WFP).

A bag of corn flour (unga) from the World Food Program.

I had been to another food distribution day that was held at the primary school a while back those bags were from the US Government. I’m still not sure who does what here. I’ve always wondered how these programs functioned. How areas were identified for food distribution…something I will have to look into.

I’ve never had the opportunity to be part of the crowd though, so I pulled up part of Eunice, one of my learners, food sacks and waited along with the rest of the women for the names to be called out.
Women wait under a tree for their names to be called to receive food rations from the World Food Program.

While waiting Janet’s aunt came walking up to the group, an older woman she immediately began talking loudly and captured all the women’s attention. It was obvious that she was humorous as the women all began laughing. At one point she was standing above me and I took the photo below of her. She loved it. Wanted everyone to look at the photo of her! We all know people like auntie who can walk in a room and immediately be the center of attention. Janet told me later she can even make people laugh while she is praying. “We have to tell God we are sorry for laughing after Auntie prays,” Janet said… she was laughing while she said this.

Auntie doing her thing, keeping the women entertained.

One of the young mothers got up to get her food and left her daughter Abby with another woman. Abby is a good-natured child who is full of smiles. Her mother is an absolute joy too. I adore Abby and take every opportunity to play with her.

Abby, seconds before she burst into tears.

The women bring their own containers for food.

Mama Janet is one of my favorite people. We can't utter a word to one another except greetings in Maasai. But I was literally in tears when she returned from a couple of weeks away visiting Janet's sister. I can't explain it - but this woman is mother earth. She has this amazing magnetic spirit. I am drawn to her as if she was my own mother.

The children here are getting used to me, some of the little girls from Janet’s compound followed me home on Wednesday afternoon and we played a form of Simon Says by doing all kinds of funny things in a line in the front of Rebeka’s house. But one of the little girls stepped on a piece of wire so I applied a Band-Aid and put her on my back and took her home. What is it they say…it’s all fun and games until someone gets hurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment