Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Jesus Loves the Little Children: Another Blog from Mama Jeska



The comfort of the words, “Jesus loves the little children; all the children of the world. Red and yellow, black and white; they are precious in His sight….” must be the same for children all over the world.  Despite how some may fret over the political incorrectness of the skin color descriptors, they really are all inclusive – and for very young children, they are primary colors; easy for children to define and something to which they can relate.
                        
Today is the end of my second week in Kenya although it feels as if I have been here forever. I am accustomed to the jammed, noisy, dust-filled matatus. I enjoy the very basic foods of ugali, chipati, rice, potatoes, beans, and sukuma. Tea with milk and sugar is offered everywhere as is mango juice if one is fortunate. The sounds and smells are also becoming more comfortable to me, whether they are the crazy sounding birds, the chiseling of stone outside, the horns on matatus, or the street children across the way praising God upon their early rising.

But my greatest delight is in the children – and they are everywhere, and they are absolutely breathtaking, and they are simultaneously heartbreaking if they are homeless or begging or sitting placidly while flies cover their faces. But those are not all of the children; just the ones who pull most strongly on MY heartstrings. I would like to introduce you to a few:

School children
We have visited numerous schools and day cares and without exception, have found the children to be obedient, respectful, happy, and hard-working. The two photos below show primary school children at PCEA Emanyatta Primary school  inNgong Hills, sitting at their desks and the baby class napping on their communal mats.  The children are always happy to have visitors and will perform for us if asked. They each want to shake hands and know how to say “Hello” and respond with “Fine” when asked how they are. In the third photo, from the Kids for Christ Day Care Center, you will see a particularly precious child who was reticient to come too close but always had her eyes on us.

Street children
Since my previous blog introduced the street children, I will be brief here except to say that they have grown on me! You will note in the first photo below that we are enjoying each other’s company after lunch at the feeding program at Dagaretti Corners. The children love to muss up my hair and feel its texture and note its color. They also are not hesitant to rub their fingers over my wrinkles [which are a real oddity here because of the melanin in African skin]. [As an aside, while the street boys were eating lunch at the Wednesday feeding program., I was wearing my Obama T-shirt and told them that even THEY could be like Obama….and that night wrote to Obama and sent photos. I just can’t understand why I didn’t receive an immediate response from him!!!!!] 

Maasai children
It was particularly gratifying for me to accompany Jessica out into the Rift Valley to the small compound known as Ikiloret where she oversaw the building of a school room and helps to teach adults. The ride takes hours and for me was full of tension as we went over rutted and rock-strewn roads [or so-called roads] often waiting while Maasai herded their cattle or goats or donkeys out of the way. I couldn’t imagine Jess doing it on the back of a motorcycle. The scenery was spectacular but the heat was stifling, especially inside a manyatta or mud hut [but it was interesting….and somewhat difficult for me as a mother, to see the place where Jess stays when she is there]. The most unnerving aspect of being in Ikiloret, however was the flies. They are everywhere and one has to swat continuously. However, the Maasai do not swat….they live with the flies. The first photo is of one of the beautiful children with flies all over his face. They are just too adorable for description. The next photo is of Jessica as “the daughter” with the matriarch of the village. My heart is warmed by their acceptance of and love for her.



MY children
Most of you remember that Joel and I enjoyed 5 years as surrogate grandparents to “Buddha” [IbrannahOmwancha] who was born to a Kenyan mother in Minnesota and then sent to his father in Kenya at the age of 5. We were devastated yet knew that this was probably the best for Buddha. When we came to Kenya in 2008, we were able to spend several days with him but found it unbearably heartbreaking on both sides when we had to part again. Last Saturday we brought him home with us and then went to church together on Sunday before his Auntie, with whom he lives, came to pick him up. He is now 11 and like his “Nyanya Robin” adores little babies, as seen in the next photo. [The baby belongs to an 16 year old street child who is also across the lane from us]. We hope to spend more time together. The current plan is that Buddha and his auntie will come to MN for August, but plans are just that until they become realities. I no longer hold my breath or wish for the impossible.

The last photo is of me with Faith, one of my favorite street children. It was taken Wednesday night after church as we were having porridge before heading for a matatu trip home. In the evenings it gets chilly here and Faith had on a long-sleeved shirt which she gave to another orphan who wore only a tank top. I was deeply moved by her selfless tenderness and so cocooned her in my sweatshirt.  It exemplifies what I would like to do for all the precious children of the world – but it is what I KNOW Jesus has already done for all the children of the world, and for that I am eternally grateful and full of hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment