Wednesday, March 13, 2013

"It’s all about relationships, love, and sacrifice" by Robin and Jessica


It is not always physical bravery that counts. One must have the courage to face life as it is, to go through sorrows and always sacrifice oneself for the sake of others. [ Kipsigis Saying (Kenya)]
Translation………
If I give everything I own to the poor and even go to the stake to be burned as a martyr, but I don’t love, I’ve gotten nowhere. So, no matter what I say, what I believe, and what I do, I’m bankrupt without love. [1 Cor 13:3]
Analysis……
“The most important aspect of Christianity is not the work we do, but the relationship
we maintain and the surrounding influence and qualities produced by that relationship.
That is all God asks us to give our attention to, and it is the one thing that is continually
under attack.” [Oswald Chambers]

Robin:
Today due to road construction, we ended up lost in a slum. While Jess has no concerns and plenty of people she can quickly reach via cell phone for directions, I am a little more wary about what people might think this white woman is doing in a slum. Later in the same neighborhood as we entered a dark stairway up to a music recording studio to visit some friends of Jess’s, it was heartwarming to me when Millicent turned around and without a word, took my hand to lead me into more uncharted territory. For me, that small gesture was all about relationship, love, and sacrifice.

Millicent, Tamara and Robin at Kimuga fram
Jessica:
I sent mom with Grace to visit the manyatta of Joseph Kiranti’s family in Kibiko on Monday. Joseph has spinabifida and has had both his legs amputated. He is sponsored to attend a special school. Where Joseph lives is Maasai hill country and could be a movie set it is so beautiful. I wanted mom to meet Joseph and his mother Hannah and her many other children because they are such a loving family. You can’t help but come away from Joseph’s house without a warm fuzzy feeling in your chest.

While mom was in Kibiko, I went to Ngong to get Cecilia off to school again after mid-term break. Cecilia is so grateful to be in boarding school. I paid for her first term in school with my own money because I feared her staying idle in the slum. I am praying that God will raise up a sponsor for her so she can finish her education. While I was with her the taxi driver cum pastor who had taken her to school two weeks before called to ask me if I could assist a woman in his church who is living with HIV. I knew if people heard I helped Cecilia’s mother, who is also HIV positive, more would come! [More on that in a future blog].

And then James, the Maasai man, in whose house I stay at Ilkiloret had asked to meet with me. He brought along his nephew, Silas to translate. We talked about a young boy who lives with them who needs a sponsor and then he surprised me by telling me that while I was in the states they had been praying for me. “You are one of us,” James said. “Part of our family. You are always in our prayers.”

When I stay in Ilkiloret I always listen for my name as Rebecca prays in Maasai before we go to sleep. I thought she was just praying for me because I was under her roof that one night, but no…every night even when I was thousands of miles away, they prayed for me. That is relationship, love and sacrifice…

Joseph preparing to leave his family and return to school.

Robin is honored to be invited into the family manyatta.
On the way to Joseph's manyatta, we pass other Maasai.
Robin:
Some people here have chastised Jessica for taking in a 16-year-old street girl and her 2 month old baby. They worry about Jessica and whether at some point she will be hurt and ask if she knows what kinds of sacrifice this will entail on her part. But we know that God loves each of us and that we are to love each other and that love is action, not words, that love is self-giving and should be sacrificial and that it is all about relationships. In just a little over a week, our lives have been enriched by these two beautiful children of God….and when that precious baby coos at us, we forget about walking her in the middle of the night. 

Jess and I enjoying God's beautiful new gift of life, Tamara.
 Jessica: 
I was a little concerned about spending 12 weeks with my mother; 6 in the US and 6 in Kenya. That is a lot of togetherness for any mother and adult daughter but especially for two who haven’t lived on the same continent in a few years. It’s not that I don’t love my mother. I do. While we have gotten on one another’s nerves once in a while, I needn’t have been concerned. There is something so resilient about a mother/daughter relationship. I guess it’s the unconditional love, understanding of one another’s characters and the history that we share that has made this time together so easy. Mom was pretty skeptical about my choice to be a missionary because it meant not being financially independent. She understood my desire to serve and supported that…but was always hoping I would find another way to sustain it! Now she has seen my life in Kenya for herself. She has met my friends and seen the relationships I’ve built. She has seen the difference this ministry has made in the lives of the people assisted and in my life. And she has pronounced it good.
With Teddy B and Paul who helped make the "Umeniwezesha" video last year.
Robin:
On the 19th I have to leave, but I will go back home a different person than the one who arrived here 6 weeks ago. In my final blog at that time, I will tell you about things I have learned about Kenya, myself, and most importantly, my daughter.

Afterall, it is all about relationships, love, and sacrifice.

No comments:

Post a Comment