Saturday, July 28, 2012

It’s only been 10 years!

I have been looking for a good Swahili tutor forever! And then when I’d finally given up one was sitting right in front of me at a Bible Study. See, God does answer prayers…

I had been attending PCEA Enchorro Emuny Presbyterian Church in Ngong. I have never felt particularly at home there and because of happenstance the past month I’ve spent every Sunday at Karen Vineyard Church (KVC) which is held in the auditorium of a high school in Karen, which is about 15 minutes from Ngong. It’s a two-matatu commute but it’s well worth the 50-shilling fare each way. I’ve met loads of new people both expats and Kenyans and I started attending a bi-weekly women’s Bible Study. It’s been an amazing experience. The first time I attended I met Mildred who is a professional Swahili tutor and had been to KVC only a few times but had come to the Bible Study for the first time that day. Our meeting can only be a God thing.

Mildred and I meet every Friday from 2-3:30 – not the best time of day for me…my brain takes a siesta in the afternoons. By 3pm I’m fighting the yawns. But I’m actually learning and realizing that I already have a ridiculously large Swahili vocabulary and as soon as I figure out how to string together a sentence I’m gonna be rattling off Swahili like a native-born Kenyan. Kabisa!

No comments:

Post a Comment