Wednesday, August 29, 2012

African Wedding

I should have wrote this a week ago but sometimes inspiration doesn’t hit when you need it to.

Saturday, Sept. 18 I attended the wedding of my very good friend Allen Murithi. He was the pastor who sang in the music video Wezesha made last April. AKA Pastor Rhymes. His wedding was held in Embu a two hour drive from Nairobi. I live another hour on the other side of Nairobi. Allen found me a ride with his friend Jay. But I had to be on a mat at 7 a.m. to meet Jay, Sarah and Jean Marc to get to the wedding site by 10 a.m.

Kenyan weddings NEVER start on time. So why we left Nairobi at 8, I’ll never know. When we arrived promptly at 10 a.m. there were three cars in the parking lot so we headed into Embu town to a popular travelers hotel and had breakfast. The server was horrible so over our two-hour breakfast we had plenty of time to get to know one another.

We arrived around 12:15 back at the wedding site. The crowd was just starting to make it’s way into the garden for the wedding. At 1p.m. as I had predicted when we were taking bets at breakfast as to when the vows would be said the bride and groom said, “I do.”

By 2:30 we were back on the road again to Nairobi. The lunch was just being put out as we were leaving so we ate lunch at a roadside restaurant on our way home.

I was deposited back in Nairobi around 5:45 p.m. and wearily entered my apartment at 7 p.m. I was drop dead tired, but happy to have done my friend duty and attended Allen’s wedding. I owe him big for help me with the music video and as he is a total ham and attention addict…his wedding was full of Allen being Allen… see pics below!





On the way home we stopped to buy some produce from some roadside hawkers. This is what it feels like being in a fish bowl!




No comments:

Post a Comment