Monday, November 15, 2010

Arrivals and relationships...

The second flight from Amsterdam to Nairobi was uneventful. But as always, I'm ridiculously tired on the second leg and can't keep my eyes open... which means I don't sleep when I get to Nairobi at night!

We landed a few minutes early and I got through customs with no problems. Found my luggage quickly and exited to the throng that is the international arrivals gate at Jomo Kenyatta Int'l Airport. No David. David is Grace's son and almost always picks me up at the airport. This time he is there but outside and the nice lady at the taxi stand let's me use her phone... his vehicle wasn't working so he has brought his girlfriend Jacqui and her car. She didn't know David was picking me up... we have been friend's since the last time I was here, so it was fun to surprise her. Jacqui is a 27 year old widow. Her husband was shot during a car jacking. I actually met him, before I knew her. I ended up staying at Jacqui's apartment Friday night and attending her nephew's first birthday party on Saturday afternoon. Then we met David and Grace and John in town and went to Kimuka. They had been at a Dowry meeting of a friend of David's who lives in the states. What did the groom have to pay for his bride you ask? One hundred goats, only!

The children were all in bed when we got to Kimuka, but all got up to say hello to me. Including Charles Omondi who I have known since he was about nine months old. I had him moved from his grandmothers home to Grace's orphanage. Charles is now 9 and his 80 year old grandmother could no longer control him... and he was doing poorly in school. Charles is thriving now. And exclaimed when I walk in, "Mom, you're here." He then gave me a big hug and did a little dance.

I read the crime novel I bought in the airport already. I have one more novel to read, "Eat, Pray, Love" and another couple nights of very little sleep before my body catches up with my mind and realizes we are in a new time zone... so will be out of reading material quickly.

I brought lots of books for the orphans so will make due reading theirs until I can find more for myself.

My feet are freezing from sitting too long so I'm heading out of this cyber cafe... peace!

No comments:

Post a Comment