Monday, November 22, 2010

Random thoughts

Okay, It's nearly 5 p.m. on Monday evening... I feel like hell. I have a nasty cold, runny nose and lots of sneezing. But lets back up because I don't think I've posted since last Tuesday...

Wednesday was in Ngong, Thursday at the farm - came back Friday afternoon... went to graduation at Nairobi Pentacostal Bible College on Saturday... that's the second time I've been to a graduation ceremony there. It wasn't anymore exciting this time but it was better than going to Nakuru for a wedding with Grace and company... they left at 5 am and returned about 9:45 p.m. - No thank you!

It was the wedding of the son of Mama Jeri, the woman who cooks and takes care of children at the farm. I love Mama Jeri and her family, but couldn't imagine all the sitting and riding around that would be involved. As it was I spent a lot of time in jams (traffic jams) in Nairobi. They are doing lots of road construction on some major atteries in and and around the city and it's a mess (think a stronger word here)!!!!

Basically you have to add an extra 30 to 45 minutes to wherever you want to go. Matatus (overloaded public transport) take the shoulder, head into on-coming traffic, even detour from their routes to make better time.

It hasn't rained (during rainy season) in quite a few days. I got out of a station wagon that had stopped to give us a ride out of the valley from the farm to Ngong. The front windows were open and I was a shade darker when I arrived in Ngong! I had just showered too...

I took photos of my room at the farm and the shower room... will post them next week.

Last night, Grace brought me a cup of tea and some vicks-like stuff in the middle of the night... I got up to pee a while later, (you have to go through three latched doors to get out - so you have to be proactive about going to the choo). There was a full moon so I didn't even need a flash light outside. I saw something moving on the other side of the fence about 30 feet away. It was a giraffe. I stopped and it stopped and we just stood there and looked at each other... I had been proactive about getting out of bed, but not long enough to spend more than a 30 seconds communing with this giant of the animal kingdom. He/She was gone when I came out of the choo...but what a great 30 seconds that was... if I hadn't been sick and Grace hadn't brought me tea in the middle of the night... I might have missed out... maybe there really is a reason for everything!

I'm heading to Meru tomorrow. Judie gets out of school on Thursday. I will see some friends in Nkubu and Chogoria and then head to Meru on Thursday. Gotta go home and drink some tea and try to kick this cold.

Will post from the road if I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment