Sunday, October 30, 2011

Communication and Her Evil Twin Miss-Communication

Janet, my co-teacher, had texted me on Tuesday to tell me that she had moved into the newly remodeled manyatta in the classroom compound. A week before we had discussed that she would not move into the manyatta until after the construction was done because the fundis would need somewhere to sleep. Luckily the fundis don’t mind sleeping in the storeroom with the cement and the tools!

Janet's younger sister, doing dishes in Janet's new manyatta.

I had let the Pastor Johnson and the fundi deal with the labor. Unfortunately the fundi had brought an extra helper with him, and Pastor Johnson was a not around when we arrived at the building site. I told the fundi, “I’m paying 6 people for labor – no more, you figure it out with Pastor Johnson and let me know.” I don’t know too much about building, but I’m one tough cookie (I mean fore-woman) don’t cha think?

Some other wazungu (foreigners) were in Ilkiloret with the MIDI project doing a demonstration on beekeeping and tree planting. I decided to check them out as class time was over by the time the lorry reached Ilkiloret. One of the men, Matt, is a Mennonite who lives even further down in the bush and speaks Maasai. They will be back next Wednesday and will do their demonstrations for some groups so I probably won’t have class again, but I might go anyway…just cause that’s kind of fun stuff to know.

Joanne Ball-Burgess, the wife of the beekeeper from Bermuda, who was doing a demonstration for MIDI. The Maasai women were fascinated with her hair. "She looks like a Moran," they said. Moran is another group of Maasai that paint their heads and bodies with red dye. I have to admit they have a point. I tried to explain hair dye but then gave up. Maybe someday I'll dye my hair when I'm there.

Just having a little fun with the camera!


Matt has inspired me to learn a little Maasai. So Thursday before class started I had Janet write down 10 Maasai words for me to learn. It’s actually kind of a fun language. Just not so easy to spell or pronounce!

Languages do not come easily to me, and Swahili generally makes my head hurt. But in order to be effective here, I must become fluent in Swahili and at least have passing understanding of Maasai. So any and all prayers or recommendations of how to go about this are welcome.

I am being tutored in Swahili at an adult education center in Mathare, a slum at the end of my road. The classes have generally not been very helpful. I actually learn more in Ilkiloret. I bring my notes from the tutoring session to Janet and she goes over them with me. I have to use any words and gestures I have already acquired to communicate with Rebeka, who appreciates my efforts and usually gets what I’m trying to say. It's good practice, but I'm not a patient person and I want to have a real conversation with Rebeka now!

I've gotten used to the smoke in the kitchen so I can spend more time cooking with Rebeka in the manyatta.


My dad is constantly reminding me that, "Patience is a virtue." Maybe now that I'm 40, I should try to take that piece of advice to heart. Someday soon, Rebeka, I promise we will talk until the wee hours of the night - until then I'm going to have to learn to say, "patience is a virtue," in Maasai!

No comments:

Post a Comment