Friday, October 7, 2011

Snake in the kitchen!

I need to explain my FB post about the snake in the kitchen:

It was Thursday evening, I was back from Ilkiloret and exhausted and sore and tired. I cooked some vegetables for dinner, which required me to stand at the sink chopping for a good while. Ruth and I ate dinner and I went back in the kitchen to put my plate in the sink and I saw something black on the floor all coiled up and thought it was a piece of yarn or something. I thought about picking it up and throwing it away, or at the least kicking it to see what it was, but then thought that Ruth is going to sweep in a few minutes anyway, so I just went back in the living room to watch a bit more television.

Ruth was sweeping a few minutes later when she stopped. She was standing in the doorway from the kitchen to the living room, looking around in a strange manner.

”What’s wrong?” I asked.

“Snake!” she said.

“No, really, where?” I asked.

“On the kitchen floor,” she said.

I went and looked and there was that same thing I had seen on the floor just minutes ago.

“That’s not a snake,” I said, not wanting to believe what I was beginning to think was true.

“Yes, it is,” she said. “We have to kill it.”

There was no escaping to go for help because the snake was between us and the kitchen door that was bolted from the inside. Ruth, unable to find a suitable weapon, threw one slipper and then another at it. Then she remember the shovel behind the frig and shrieking as she swung - bludgeoned our baby snake to death!

I came to find out later that our snake was a black mambo, a very poisonous snake and as small as it was it probably had parents near by. The advice we were given - burn something rubber in the kitchen, they don’t like the smell it will keep them away! Yeah right, I don't like the smell either and I have to go in the kitchen!

In 10 years, this is my first close encounter with a snake! I am praying it will be my last – or at the very least the last in my house! Thank God for Ruth and her snake killing skills! Don’t know if I would have been as brave!

No comments:

Post a Comment