Friday, February 5, 2010

Ngong... frustrations and rain

Spent Wednesday in Ngong. Did laundry at Grace's, looked at her computer to see which programs she had as she wanted me to do a newsletter, a brochure and an email update for her (in three days!). She had publisher but we needed to be able to pdf the files I create so she can email them. This would be an easy thing in the states, you just download a pdf program. Grace doesn't have internet access at home so her son Sammy brought a prepay modem from Nairobi. Almost everything is pre-pay here! We had trouble installing the modem correctly. We get it installed and then try to add credit and then it says we have less credit than we've added. Then we I try to open Word, the computer throws up an error message and we can't get it to reboot. Yes, I killed the computer!

Back to the internet cafe to try to do the things she wants in Word so that the whole world can open them without pdf. That was my original plan, but I got excited by the possibilities that didn't in the end yield any results! Was only in the cyber for about an hour before we had to leave to go sleep at the farm. On the way there I realized I'd left my flash drive (which contained all the photos I'd taken so far) in the cyber cafe! Yikes -  we made a mad dash back to the cyber as it was closing in 5 minutes and there was my flash drive safe and sound! Amen and Amen!

The farm is at Kimuka, which is 11 kilometers down into the Rift Valley from Ngong. The ride there is dusty or muddy depending on the time of year, but the views are majestic and humbling all at once. Going down at dusk is my favorite time to go because the Ngong Hills look as if they have been painted by an artist. I don't know where Kimuka begins and ends because there is really nothing there. They have cemented the floors since I was last there which is nice. But the flies could practically pick you up and carry you away. I can feel every board under the two inch think mattress and the wind howls at night like you are in the middle of a hurricane, but it is by far one of the most peaceful places on earth. The children who Grace and John have taken in who live there fill the house with laughter.

After a dinner of ugali and native greens (there is some bush plant that is edible - it's a bit bitter but good), I gave the children the cards that the children at First Presbyterian had made for them. And then they were able to make cards to send back to them. They had a great time and loved seeing the picture of all they kids they were making cards for. We had a great time!

The next morning at breakfast they were treated to juice and bread and butter that I had bought for them in town. They don't often get bread and rarely get juice or butter so this was BIG! They also drank tea, which they drink every morning. They come home for lunch because their school doesn't have food available right now.

In the morning, John and Grace and I went to see the 30 foot square by 10 feet deep water hole they had dug to harvest rain water. They are not able to use it yet because the don't have money to buy the pump or pipes to get the water to their field or garden yet. Then we walked out to the 10 acres they own and where they want to cultivate hay to sell to Maasi herdsman. Because of the short rains in the area, herdsman often have to buy hay during the dry season.

It was VERY hot. By the time we got back we needed to sit under a tree and drink some of the leftover juice and relax a bit. It was close to lunchtime so we ate lunch with the children and then called a taxi driver to take us back to Ngong. He showed up an hour after we called him and just as it started to rain. By the time we got back to Ngong the streets were muddy. They dropped me at the cyber so I could continue doing work for Grace, by then it was about 4 p.m.

Grace came and picked me at the cyber later and we took a matatu home. It's a very short ride but well worth the 10 shillings when you are tired!

Am still trying to get a bus to Uganda. It leaves at 8 a.m. tomorrow. David will hopefully come get me some time tonight and bring me to Wawira's so I can repack for Uganda. I guess I will have to buy a ticket when I get there tomorrow... I hate not booking in advance - I can't do 9 hours in the back of a bus!

No comments:

Post a Comment