Friday, March 2, 2012

New Apartment!

I’ve only ever lived on my own in Kenya one other time. I wish I could find those pictures. This is definitely a big step up! My last apartment was one room with a shared toilet in the hallway. I cooked on a camp stove. I had a bed, a bookshelf and a plastic tiered contraption to keep my food and cooking supplies on.
This apartment has three bedrooms, two bathrooms and a kitchen with a refrigerator and a stove. A balcony on the front and a small one attached to the kitchen with a laundry sink on it. Big change!

My bedroom in the new apartment. It has it's own bathroom and built-in closets. Finally some storage space for all the suitcases!

There are no appliances in apartments when you buy them here. I got lucky. I bought my stove from a friend who sold it to me cheap and I bought the refrigerator from a pawn shop! I love to cook! I'm so glad to have a adequate kitchen to do it in!

The living/dining room has windows across the front of it. I still don't have curtains... am hoping for some soon!!!

The one thing I appreciated about my little room. It was a whole lot easier to clean!

On moving day – Sunday, Feb. 19 at 4pm, I called the man whose pickup I have used in the past to take small loads to Ilkiloret. Dan and his partner were extremely efficient! They took my bed apart and got all my things out of Grace’s house in one load. The new apartment is lovely and very secure! Which was my first concern. I wanted a place I would feel safe. The house was however filthy and needed lots of minor plumbing and electrical work done. So the next few evening were spent with men working on various things in the apartment.

My life packed up and awaiting the movers in Grace's living room.

Having a space of my own has been such a blessing already. It feels so good to have roots and privacy and a place to call home!

I moved in on a Sunday and my kids came home for mid-term the following Thursday for five days. Lots of upheaval for children who have grown up as orphans is not a recipe for a peaceful vacation from school. So even though it was good upheaval it still made for some unforeseen bumps. Out of the five days only one was a complete disaster! But by the end of the day things were heading back in the right direction.

No comments:

Post a Comment