Friday, March 9, 2012

Learning and Teaching Masai

The learners in my class get pretty excited when I learn new words and phrases in Masai. And since most of the learners in the class are not able to read and write in Masai we have started teaching them to read and write Masai in conjunction with English and Kiswahili.


I can now tell people I am going to Ngong - "Nilo Ngong" and that I drink milk - "Aok kule".

The learners can read those words in Masai and know what I am saying when I say it in English. It's fun to be both the teacher and the learner!

Here are a few pictures from class...I try not to get into learners faces with my camera too often...
Eunice copies the Masai words and the English translation into her notebook.

Mary brings her son to class...he's not very fond of me yet, but I'm working on him! Most of the learners carry their folders in plastic bags. A group of woman at First Presbyterian Church has offered to make them bags! Can't wait to see the learners faces when they see them!

Mary prepares to head home, loading her sleeping baby boy on her back.

No comments:

Post a Comment