Friday, March 9, 2012

Kenya Through A Keyhole: Riding with Njenga

A friend said he would like to see more of what my life and my environment is like. So here is the first installment of “Kenya through the Keyhole.”

Riding with Njenga

Most people commute to work by car or bus or train or on their own motorcycle through loads of traffic and get to work with a stress headache and caffeine stains on their expensive suits.

I ride to work on the back of a motorcycle in jeans that are covered in dust by the time I reach my destination. My view is of the Ngong and Magadi Hills.

The obstacles to the journey are livestock, wild animals and rocks. I arrive at work with a feeling of peace for having ridden through a wild, stark, stunningly beautiful landscape with only my thoughts and prayers to keep me company. And of course Njenga mumbling every so often… “this is not a road!”

This week I took a photo of our shadow as we drove along. The shadow behind me on the bike is a big plastic shopping bag that I carry food and school materials in. It has photos of President Obama on it. It’s kind of like my bummer sticker!

No comments:

Post a Comment