Friday, March 9, 2012

Kenya Through A Keyhole: Oasis

I’ve shown you lots of images of Ilkiloret with thorns and sand, but after I went to the network tree last week, I looked up and saw what could only be light shimmering off water. So I walked off in the direction of the oasis to see if I could get some pictures of something other than dust. There are lots of man-made reservoirs in the rift valley and a few that are were formed naturally. It was the time of the day that made these pictures so otherworldly – just before dusk.

As I walked up to the water, the scene took my breath away. There were no animals there when I arrived, no people even - just peaceful water. I heard some one chopping with a panga and looked up – there was a speck in the distance someone chopping down a tree for firewood. Their hand went up, so I waved, we were too far away to greet one another. I wandered around the edge of the oasis with my camera.





Then in the distance I saw a line of cows making their way single file toward the water. I waited for them.



Bottoms up!

I don’t think they felt the same reverence for this oasis I did, but they were fed by it too. God fed my soul and their thirst with the same water. A twofer! Go God!

No comments:

Post a Comment