Sunday, January 17, 2010

At home in Meru...

When I called to tell Mercy we were on our way from Embu to her house in Meru her response was, "Good, just come home." I can't explain what it feels like to know that there is somewhere half a world away where not only am I referred to as a sister and an auntie but is my "home." I met Mercy Chidi while working on a story about HIV/AIDS for the UN news agency IRIN NEWS. Mercy and her husband Chidi run an organization called Ripples International. They got their first funds in 2004 and started a baby home, a home for sexually abused young women, a dispensary, an HIV/AIDS program for children, a mobile clinic, and HIV/AIDS awareness programs... among other things. Now they are building a hospital. Yes. They are amazing!

Last night we arrived late and ate a quick dinner and went to bed. This morning we sprinkled Chidi with water because today is his birthday (I have yet to figure out that custom), and then went to church and later out to lunch for Chidi's birthday.

Tomorrow morning Mercy and I will go work out at her gym... I've never been to the gym in Kenya... this will be a new experience.... one of many, I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment