Wednesday, January 13, 2010

The same but different...

Met lots of interesting characters in the tin can over the big pond and again over Europe and Northern Africa. People are so interesting and surprising. There's something about the intersection of sleep deprivation, confined spaces and alcohol that makes for fascinating sociological insights.
I woke up this morning to the sound of rooster welcoming the dawn and then silence and then the Muslim call to prayer from the mosque not far away... and then the roosters decide to chime back in and then there is the sound of the big lorries rushing by outside my friend's small flat in a working class section of the vast sprawl that is Nairobi, Kenya.
Jet lag prevented me from getting even the slightest bit of sleep, but I crawled out of bed feeling surprisingly refreshed or was it the psuedo warm bucket shower ... not sure, but I feel better than I usually do after 24 hours of transit.
David (best friend) and I went to pick up Judie (my Kenyan daughter) in Upper Hill, where Nairobi Hospital is located. She had been staying with a classmate's family for a few days and the mother, Amina, works for the International Refugee Committee (also in Upper Hill). Then we went to buy a cell phone.It cost me around $40 for the phone, charger, SIM card and enough minutes to last me for about a week.
Now all I have to do is plan the rest of my stay in Nairobi...
So far we are meeting the new director of Give Us Wings tomorrow morning and visiting an orphanage I brought a ton of stuff (that could have been bought here) for. We will stay overnight there and will hopefully be able to upload a few pictures from our time there.
It is 1;13 p.m. and I can feel jet lag rearing its ugly head... my eyes feel heavy, my back is starting to ache... maybe it's time for a nap!

No comments:

Post a Comment