Thursday, January 21, 2010

A trip to the gym

Mercy Chidi is a year older than I am. She and her husband are the founders of Ripples International. They have three biological children. An adopted daughter who five. And a daughter like Judie who is psuedo-adopted. She is in high school.

Mercy started going to the gym 4 months ago and loves it. She wanted me to go with her. Not being one to turn down a new experience, I gladly agreed.

There are a few things I neglected to figure in... first and foremost... the altitude here is much higher and therefore the air is much thinner. Second, I was getting over a cold and still not 100 percent and third, I had a slight bout of diarreaha the night before and was a tad dehydrated. The combination was humbling. I was fine until the wiry man conducting the class added a move in which you turn around... thus disrupting the fog in my head and dissiness ensued. I went to the back of the class gulped some water and sat down until the room stopped spinning... then continued, albeit with less enthusiam.

The next day I bowed out. Mercy of course called me lazy. The day after Mercy had a breakfast meeting in Nairobi so she wasn't around. Thank God. I only have one maybe two more days here... I will leave the next gym experience or not in God's hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment