Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Transit

Well, the whole time I'm in Africa, I'm pretty much in transit... but we have put some miles on in the last five days.

Judie and I took a shuttle (public transport) from Meru to Nairobi on Saturday morning. Julius, my internet friend, met us at the stage (bus station) and we then found my friend Allen in the mass of humanity that mills around the bus stage in Nairobi. We all went out to lunch and had pizza and burgers of all things. Then Allen went home and Julius drove Judie and I to my friend Wawira and Joe's house. Neither of them were home. Joe was with the GUW volunteers - he runs a tour company and is assisting GUW with transport and Wawira is a media mogul and was out at a shoot in Nakuru. Judie and I made ourselves at home with their two children, Ivy, 10 and Matt, 2 and the maid. Julius and I went out for a coffee and to get to know one another a bit better. Which is a good thing since we are traveling together for a week.

On Sunday, we went to see my good friend Bea, who has been living in Kenya for the past 4 years. She is Italian American and has adopted a Kenyan girl named Zawi. We had a wonderful afternoon. We went to a Ethiopian restaurant and then to Bea's, where she emptied her closet on us, since she is returning to the states in April and won't be able to take all her things. Then we went for a walk to a park. It was quite lovely. Then laden down with bags of clothes, we went to the YaYa shopping center to meet our friend Ken, who is now in Bible college in Nairobi.

It was a lovely day! Wawira was home when we returned and it was great catching up with her. My friends here are more like family.

We left Monday morning for Kisii, where we were able to see Buddha. (More about that later). And then after taking him to school this morning, we continued on to Kisumu, where we are going to have lunch with my friend Dorothy in a few minutes.

It's hot here! I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment